And once you get your basics:
- Jars and lids
- A large canning pot
- A funnel
- A ladel
That being said, here is my recipe for sweet pickles - an absolute staple in our house for burgers, sandwiches, and side dishes.
Crunchy, Sweet and Zesty Sweet Pickles
(for printable recipe click HERE)
* 25 cucumbers, thinly sliced
* 6 onions, thinly sliced
* 2 green peppers, diced
* 3 cloves garlic, chopped
* 1/2 cup salt
* 3 cups pickling vinegar
* 5 cups white sugar
* 2 tablespoons pickling spice
* 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
1. In a large bowl, mix together cucumbers, onions, green bell peppers, garlic and salt. Allow to stand approximately 3 hours.
2. In a large saucepan, mix the cider vinegar, white sugar, pickling spice and turmeric. Bring to a boil.
3. Drain liquid from the cucumber mixture. Stir the mixture into the boiling vinegar mixture. Remove from heat shortly before the combined mixtures return to boil.
4. Transfer to sterile containers.
5. Process in boiling water for 10 minutes
6. Once jars have cooled make certain they have all sealed.