Tender prawns are dredged in a seasoned flour mixture, dipped in egg, dredged with sweetened coconut and fried to a golden brown. Serve this with an icy cold coconut martini and you have the recipe for a fabulous evening!
For printable recipe click here
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 Tbsp garlic salt
- 2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 20 large raw shrimp shelled, but leave the tails on
- 2 cups vegetable or canola oil for frying
- Sweet chili sauce for dipping
- In a deep plate or shallow bowl, combine the flour and seasoning. Place the eggs in another bowl and the coconut in a third.
- Hold shrimp by tail, and dredge in flour, shaking off excess flour. Dip in egg; allow excess to drip off. Roll shrimp in coconut, and place on a baking sheet lined with wax paper. Can be made ahead at this point and refrigerated for a few hours.
- Line a second baking sheet with paper towels.
- Preheat the oil in a large, heavy bottomed pan on high. When you can toss a small piece of the coconut into the oil and it sizzles and browns, reduce your heat to medium add your shrimp to the pan in batches of five. Cook about a minute or two per side. You can continue to turn these in the pan so they don't brown too quickly.
- Cook to a golden brown and remove to paper lined baking sheet. Cook the rest and serve warm with sweet chili dipping sauce.
Bring the daily magic of The Kitchen Witch straight to your inbox every time a new one is written.
Or you can subscribe by rss feed...
Subscribe in a reader