Not only because my weekend was cut short last Saturday with the open call for Recipes to Riches, but because the rest of my week was hectic and draining.
Normally I'd lament over such things, but in my new found mind set of gratitude, I realize that Friday would not be as sweet if the rest of my week were a cake walk.
It's life's great give and take.
The larger the struggle, the greater the reward - or something like that.
And me, I've been waiting for just the right evening to indulge in my favourite comfort food: pasta, cooked with some kind of ultra flavourful cream sauce.
I say ultra flavourful because cream sauces are often way too heavy for my taste with not enough attention paid to the high notes to balance it all out.
So I set out to create my own version of a yummy and comforting fettucini alfredo with all of my favourite flavours and textures like lemon, thyme, garlic, and toasted pine nuts.
And the result...
A super delicious citrus infused plate of creamy yumminess- the perfect antidote to a stressful week!
*Note* If you don't make your pasta from scratch, be sure to buy the best possible variety you can. The difference between homemade, or really good fare from a specialty foods store and the run of the mill stuff from the grocery is huge.
Here's what I used tonight:
Here's a link to the Al Dente brand if you can't locate it where you live. It's a fabulous product.
And now, onto the recipe...
Chicken and Mushroom Fettucini in a Creamy Lemon Sauce
For printable recipe click HERE
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, and squeezed of excess moisture
- 1/4 cup pine nuts (lightly toasted)
- 8-10 button mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1Tbsp butter
- Juice and zest from one whole lemon
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup low sodium chicken stock
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1-2 Tbsp fresh chopped basil
- parmesan aregiano
- 1 package good quality fettucini
- Sprinkle chicken breasts on both sides with salt, pepper, thyme, and garlic powder. Cut into bite sized pieces.
- Warm olive oil over medium high heat in a large non-stick pan. Add the chicken breasts and begin to saute. After about two minutes, add the mushrooms and continue to saute until the mushrooms are golden and have lost their water (about 10 minutes)
- Add the butter to the pan. Once it's melted, add the garlic and saute for about 30 seconds until it begins to be fragrant. Add lemon juice, lemon zest, chicken stock, and wine. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to medium. Continue to simmer until the sauce reduces by about half and begins to thicken.
4. In the meantime, fill a large pot with salted water and bring it to the boil. Add fettucini and boil until al dente.
5. When the sauce has reduced and thickened, add the 1/2 cup of heavy cream and the spinach. Stir well and add the pasta directly to the sauce.
6. Toss in the basil, and pine nuts. Sprinkle with fresh cracked black pepper and parmesan aregiano.