And with this new found zest, I decided to take myself and the dog out this afternoon and earn myself some activity points.
Activity points can be traded for food at any time during the week with a maximum of six per day.
To earn six points one must partake in sustained brisk activity for 60 minutes and even though I haven't as much as done the breast stroke in more weeks than I care to admit, I decided to go for gold and went BRISK jog walking on the up and downhill route I used to do when I was running 7k a day.
Fueled by adrenaline and an insurgence of whole grains and roughage the likes of which my system hasn't seen since the mid 80's, I set out with a vengeance.
I am runner hear me roar.
And I am proud to tell you I stayed BRISK the entire hour.
What I'm not proud to tell you, however, is that I am now having difficulty walking.
But I did manage to cook!
I'm not sure if it's because I was hungry after all that exercise, but this stir fry was so GOOD!! The flavours came together just right and the lemon in the rice perfectly complimented the sauce. Best of all, I'm remembering how much fun it is to flavour food without all that fat and sodium.
I hope you enjoy...
Tender Chicken Stir Fry and Lemon Rice
For printable recipe click HERE
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 5 sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 green pepper diced small
- 1 stalk celery diced small
- 1 onion
- 1 tsp Chinese five spice powder
- 1 tsp hot Asian chili sauce (less if you want the dish less spicy)
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/3 cup chopped cashews
- PAM cooking spray
- Spray a large non-stick pan with cooking spray and saute the chicken and vegetables over medium high heat. While they are cooking, add the five spice powder and the and the chili sauce. Stir to incorporate and continue sauteing.
- When the chicken is cooked, add the sesame oil and the garlic and stir to incorporate.
- Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Continue to boil at a low simmer until the stock has almost completely reduced
- Meanwhile, cook one cup of white rice in 2 cups of water. When the rice is cooked, add the zest of one whole lemon and one chopped green onion. Stir well.
Smaller Portion: 1/2 cup rice topped with 1/2 cup chicken mixture and lots of carrots on the side
9 Weight Watchers points
189 calories, 3 g fat
(I found this portion size quite satisfying after I waited a little while to feel full)
Larger Portion: 1 cup rice topped with 3/4 cup chicken mixture and carrots on the side
13 Weight Watchers points
284 calories, 5 g fat