Guilt free eating at its best, the flavours of bacon, maple, and apple, meld perfectly with the sweet heat of cumin, curry, and Swiss Chard making this an absolutely wonderful (and comforting) weekend meal.
Lentil Stew with Maple Turkey Bacon, Apple, and Swiss Chard
For printable recipe click here
- 5 slices turkey bacon, diced small
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 medium red potato, peeled and diced
- 1 apple, diced
- 3 cloves chopped garlic
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 cup green lentils
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 bunch organic swiss chard, chopped
- 1 Tbsp white vinegar
- Mix the diced turkey bacon together with the maple syrup and dijon mustard.
- Heat the olive oil over medium high heat in a large non stick dutch oven or soup pot. Add the turkey bacon and chopped onion. Saute until onion begins to get soft and turkey begins to crisp (app. five minutes)
- Add the cumin, curry powder, carrots, celery, and potato. Continue to saute another minute stirring constantly.
- Add the apple and garlic, continue to stir. Add the lentils. Stir until everything is incorporated.
- Add the chicken stock and bay leaf. Bring to a boil and then turn to med low. Cover and simmer stirring occasionally for 15 minutes.
- Add the chopped swiss chard and vinegar. Continue covered at a simmering boil over med low heat 45 minutes or until the lentils are soft and cooked through.
- Remove pot from heat and let sit covered for 30 minutes before serving.
Lyndsay Wells is a professional trainer, writer, and program developer with a passion for food and cooking. She is an award winning recipe developer, and a website ambassador for Kraft Foods Canada. Lyndsay believes cooking should be approachable and easy and has great tips and ideas for putting together sophisticated looking dishes that cooks of all levels can accomplish.
Visit her daily on her blog, The Kitchen Witch or on her YouTube Channel, CHARMED With The Kitchen Witch.