Today marked the last day for video submissions to Season 1 of The Real Women of Philadelphia and though it was bitter sweet to see it come to an end, I am incredibly excited to continue on in the community because I have made so many good friends.
Along with that, the journey has come with the unexpected gift of giving me the ability to conceive of and create desserts. This has never been my strong suit so being able to put together a respectable cupcake or apple turnover is thrilling beyond belief.
And though I don't really have much of a sweet tooth, the Man I Married assures me these are very good.
Tomorrow I'm going to surprise everyone at work with a plate of creamy Philly goodness because they have been so supportive of me on my many cooking related adventures!
Happy baking everyone and stay tuned for the first installment of Gordon Ramsey's Master Chef series tomorrow.
Mandarin orange cream cheese cupcakes with cream cheese and toasted almond frosting.
- 2 1/4 cup(s) of flour
- 1 1/2 cup(s) of sugar
- 1 tbsp. of baking powder
- 1 tsp. of salt
- 1/3 cup(s) of vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup(s) of softened Philadelphia Cream Cheese Light or Regular
- 1 tbsp. of mandarin zest
- 1/2 cup(s) of fresh mandarin orange juice
- 1/2 cup(s) of milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup(s) of softened butter
- 1 cup(s) of 250 gram softened Philadelphia Cream Cheese, regular or light
- 1 tsp. of grand marnier or pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup(s) of sifted confectioner's sugar
- 1 cup(s) of toasted sliced almonds
- 12 small mandarin segments for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350. Line two muffin pans with cupcake liners.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a large mixing bowl. Add 1 cup of sugar to flour mixture.
- In a separate bowl beat together oil, milk, cream cheese and mandarin zest. Beat one minute with electric mixer. Add mandarin juice and egg yolks and beat another 20 seconds or so.
- Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture, add the wet ingredients and beat until everything is well incorporated.
- In a separate bowl and using clean beaters, whip egg whites until foamy. Gradually add remaining ½ cup sugar and whip until egg whites hold a stiff peak.
- Fold whites gently into batter. Divide batter evenly into 12 large cupcake liners. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool cupcakes completely before frosting.
- Whip together the remaining cream cheese, butter, grand marnier, and confectioner's sugar. Spread 2 tbsp each on cooled cupcakes, sprinkle with toasted almonds and top with a sliver of mandarin.
Bring the daily magic of The Kitchen Witch straight to your inbox every time a new one is written.
Or you can subscribe by rss feed...
Subscribe in a reader