Sauteed ground beef and vegetables are bathed in a mix of unctuous spices, coconut milk and tomatoes. The entire casserole is presented between layers of sweet coconut basmati rice and baked in a 350 oven for 30 minutes.
Make this one early in the day and pop it in the oven 45 minutes before you're ready to eat!
**Note** Unless otherwise stated, all recipes on The Kitchen Witch are my original creations. Please do not copy and paste to your own site without my permission. If you enjoy my recipes a link to The Kichen Witch is always appreciated.
Curried Ground Beef with Rice Topping
For printable recipe click here
Prep time: 30 min/ Cook time: 45 min/ Serves:6-8
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 2 tsp green curry paste
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 large beaten egg
- 1 lb extra lean ground sirloin
- 2 diced carrots
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 Tbsp red curry paste
- 1/2 tsp Asian chili garlic sauce
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup thawed frozen peas
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1/2 can tomato soup
- 2 tsp curry powder
- Bring the chicken broth, green curry paste, rice, and coconut to a boil. Turn to low, cover and simmer 15-20 minutes until rice is cooked. Set aside and let cool.
- In a large non-stick skillet that has been prepared with cooking spray, saute the carrots, onion, and ground sirloin until the meat is cooked through and the onions are tender.
- Add the red curry paste, chili garlic sauce, minced garlic, sea salt, and peas. Stir until well blended.
- Add the can of coconut milk, the tomato soup, and the curry powder. Stir well and remove from heat.
- Add the beaten egg to the cooled rice and stir well.
- Prepare a shallow 4 litre casserole dish with cooking spray. Evenly spread half the rice mixture along the bottom of the dish.
- Pour the ground beef mixture over the rice.
- Evenly spread the rice mixture over the top of the ground beef.
- Bake in a pre-heated 350 oven for 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let rest on counter for 10 minutes before slicing.
- Serve in slices and enjoy!
Bring the daily magic of The Kitchen Witch straight to your inbox every time a new one is written.
Or you can subscribe by rss feed...
Subscribe in a reader