To be honest, I can't believe it's my favourite day again - the week went by so fast!
And an observation about the world around me at present: It ROCKS! This because spring has definitely sprung in my little corner of the planet and I can feel the promise of summer - my absolute favourite time of year just around the bend!
Summer for me means a nice stretch of time off work, mornings in the garden while I sip fresh hot coffee and smell the crisp dewy air. Long afternoons by the ocean swimming in the cool waves or reading a good book under a tree, and evenings on the porch sipping sweet tea and marinating something nice to put on the grill.
In honour of that, tonight's Friday Night Foodie dish is a fresh Steak Carnita Salad with creamy Avocado dressing in a home made tortilla bowl. The tender marinated steak can either be sauted in the pan for a super quick after work dinner or thrown onto the grill for that summertime taste.
Any way you slice it, though, this is a beautiful dish!
For the printable recipe, click here.
I hope you enjoy today's step by step video.
- 2 top sirloin steaks (leave whole if grilling or slice thin if sauteing in a pan)
- 1/4 cup tequila
- 1/8 cup of red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp creole seasoning
- 1 tsp lime zest
- the juice of 1 lime
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup light mayonnaise
- 1/8 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 mashed avocado
- 1/2 tsp salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup milk
- 4 corn tortillas
- extra virgin olive oil to brush on
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Make a marinade for the beef using the tequila, red wine vinegar, creole seasoning, lime zest, the juice of 1 lime, and the chopped fresh cilantro.
- Place the thinly sliced meat into a plastic bag and pour the marinade over all. For best results, marinate overnight or put this together in the morning.
- Blend together sour cream, light mayo, chopped onion, garlic, and mashed avocado to make a creamy fresh dressing.
- Brush both sides of a corn tortilla with extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Place into an oven proof dish, and bake in a 350 over for 15-20 minutes until golden and crsipy. Set aside until you're ready to eat.
- If grilling: Grill at 475 for about 3-4 minutes per side. Leave to rest 10 minutes and then thinly slice to place on salad.
- If sauteing: Pour your beef, marinade and all, into a prepared non stick pan at medium high and saute until the beef is cooked through and any liquid has evaporated. Set aside to cool five minutes.
- Make your salad with crispy chopped ice berg lettuce, ripe tomatoes, green onion, and olives and place a generous handful or two into your tortilla bowl. Top with the sauteed beef and drizzle with the avocado dressing.
Bring the daily magic of The Kitchen Witch straight to your inbox every time a new one is written.
Or you can subscribe by rss feed...
Subscribe in a reader