So with the weather hot, and grocery day pending, I decided to put together a meal featuring these pantry favorites and let them cook in the crock pot leaving my kitchen cool and this cook stress free!
Ground beef is sauteed with vegetables, taco spice, and stewed tomatoes - while a surprise addition of cream cheese adds just the right level of unctuousness at the very end!
It gets layered in a crock pot between blankets of hash brown potatoes, cheese and peppers, and then, topped with more cheese...
It cooks for 4-6 hours on low while you head out to do more exciting things!
And the result:
A scrumptious casserole the whole family will love!
Visit the printable recipe here: Mexican Hash Brown Casserole
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 60 minutes
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 diced onion
- 1 chopped green pepper
- 1 chopped red pepper
- 1 can Aylmer Accents Chili Style Stewed Tomatoes (540 mL) or other stewed tomatoes of your choice
- 1 small tin chopped green chilies
- 1 package taco seasoning
- 1/2 cup cream cheese or sour cream
- 1/2 kg pkg of frozen hash browns
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar Cheese
- Saute the ground beef, onions, and peppers in a large non-stick pan over medium high heat until the ground beef is cooked through and the vegetables are soft.
- Reduce heat to medium low and stir in the taco seasoning, green chilies, and stewed tomatoes.
- Stir in the cream cheese.
- Add the frozen hash browns and mix well.
- Spray a 3 quart dutch oven casserole dish or crock pot with cooking spray.Spread half the hamburger mixture over the bottom and top with one cup of cheese, pour the rest over all and top with the last cup of cheese,
- Cook at 350 for 1 hour or on the low setting four hours.
Lyndsay Wells is a professional trainer, writer, and program developer with a passion for food and cooking. She is an award winning recipe developer, and a website ambassador for Kraft Foods Canada. Lyndsay believes cooking should be approachable and easy and has great tips and ideas for putting together sophisticated looking dishes that cooks of all levels can accomplish.
Visit her daily on her blog, The Kitchen Witch or on her YouTube Channel, CHARMED With The Kitchen Witch.