We did the prerequisite pizza Saturday, but on Sunday I was left to face the pantry. Surprisingly, the casserole I put together was so damned delicious I immediately deemed it Kitchen Witch worthy and, as such, you're seeing it here!
You could easily sub ground beef or chicken for the ham and swap out the veggies - but, truth be told, in the immortal words of Billy Joel, Zesty Ham and Broccoli Casserole, I love you just the way you are!
Zesty Ham and Broccoli Casserole
For printable recipe click here.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced white onion
- 4 cups frozen hash brown potatoes
- 1 cup diced cooked ham
- 2 cups broccoli florets cooked until al dente
- 1/4 cup Cheeze Whiz
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup warm milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning mix
- 4 shakes hot sauce
- 2 ripe, sliced tomatoes
- 1 cup grated cheddar, or 4 Kraft singles slices
- Pre-heat the oven to 350.
- Saute the onion, hash brown potatoes, and olive oil over medium high heat in a large non stick pan until the hash browns are crispy and golden and the onions are beginning to caramelize.
- Remove to a large bowl and stir in the ham and broccoli.
- In a medium bowl mix together the cheeze whiz, sour cream, taco seasoning, hot sauce, and warm milk and stir to make a cream sauce. Add the beaten egg and stir until smooth.
- Pour the cream sauce over the potato mixture and stir until everything is incorporated.
- Spoon the mixture into a prepared square cake pan. Cover with sliced tomatoes and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes until the cheese is bubbly and melted. Let rest 10 minutes before slicing.
Lyndsay Wells is a professional trainer, writer, and program developer with a passion for food and cooking. She is an award winning recipe developer, and a website ambassador for Kraft Foods Canada. Lyndsay believes cooking should be approachable and easy and has great tips and ideas for putting together sophisticated looking dishes that cooks of all levels can accomplish.
Visit her daily on her blog, The Kitchen Witch or on her YouTube Channel, CHARMED With The Kitchen Witch.