Melty cheese and crispy tortillas...
Top with an ooey gooey explosion of layered potatoes, ground beef, and peppers.
What could be better than that?
Click here to visit the Printable Recipe.
Please enjoy my easy to follow step by step video.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 90 minutes
- 1 pound extra lean ground beef
- 1 package taco seasoning
- 3 large russet potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 cup red pepper, diced small
- 1 tbsp finely diced jalapeno pepper
- 1 250 gram container Philadelphia Chive and Onion Cream Cheese light or regular
- 1/4 cup hot chicken stock
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup crushed corn tortilla chips
- Brown the ground beef over medium high heat and then add the taco seasoning with 1 cup of water. Stir well and set aside.
- Spray a rectangle 9 x 13 cake pan with cooking spray and line the bottom and sides with half the sliced potatoes
- Sprinkle with and half of the ground beef taco mix, and half the diced peppers (red and jalapeno).
- In a medium bowl, cream together the cream cheese, and the hot chicken stock to make a smooth cream. Spoon half over the potatoes, taco mix, and peppers and, using a spatula, smooth out over the entire surface.
- Sprinkle with 1/2 cup of the shredded cheese.
- Repeat steps. After the second half of the cream cheese mixture has been smoothed over the top, sprinkle the crushed tortilla chips before adding the last cup of shredded cheese to the top.
- Cover and bake in a pre-heated 350 oven for 60 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 20-30 minutes until the top is brown and bubbly
- Let rest on the counter ten minutes before serving. Serve in cake sized slices and garnish with a dollop of sour cream and chopped fresh cilantro.
Lyndsay Wells is a professional trainer, writer, and program developer with a passion for food and cooking. She is an award winning recipe developer, and a website ambassador for Kraft Foods Canada. Lyndsay believes cooking should be approachable and easy and has great tips and ideas for putting together sophisticated looking dishes that cooks of all levels can accomplish.
Visit her daily on her blog, The Kitchen Witch or on her YouTube Channel, CHARMED With The Kitchen Witch.