This one is made on the stove top and can be put together from start to finish in under 30 minutes. Not only that, it turns out super creamy and is packed with the wonderful cheesy goodness of cheddar!
Serve it with a tossed green salad and you'll be good to go!
Mac and Cheese with Ham and Peas
Visit the printable recipe here: Mac and Cheese
Watch my easy to follow step by step video to learn how to make this easy dish!
- 2 cups uncooked macaroni noodles
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 cup no sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese *or* 1 cup grated cheddar and 1 cup Kraft Imperial Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp paprika
- pinch black pepper
- 1 boneless ham steak
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 tbsp diced pimento
- Place the ham steak into a skillet with a half cup of boiling water. Cover, reduce heat to medium, and let steam for 5 minutes or until the water has evaporated. Set aside to cool.
- In the meantime, cook and drain the frozen peas.
- Cut the ham into bite size 1/4 inch cubes.
- Melt the butter in a large nonstick pot over medium high heat and sprinkle the flour over all. Continue to cook and stir for another 30 seconds.
- Add the chicken broth and milk and whisk well to thicken. Add the shredded sharp cheddar cheese or cheddar Imperial cheese mix.
- Continue to stir with the whisk until it's smooth and creamy adding salt, pepper, and paprika at the end.
- Cook the macaroni noodles for 5 minutes in rapidly boiling, well salted water- just to al dente - you don't want to overcook the noodles because they will finish cooking in the hot sauce.
- Add the diced ham, peas, and pimento and give it all a good stir. Let it rest 3-5 minutes before serving.
Bring the daily magic of The Kitchen Witch straight to your inbox every time a new one is written.
Or you can subscribe by rss feed...
Subscribe in a reader