Ever a Kitchen Witch, I decided to rectify that by coming up with a delicious recipe of my own!
Served with home made grilled cheese croutons, this soup is a comfort winner!
Visit the printable recipe here: Tomato and Cheese Soup with Grilled Cheese Croutons
Please enjoy my easy to follow step by step video
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup small diced carrot
- 1 cup diced potato
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 540 ml can organic tomatoes
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp creole spice
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 cup evaporated skim milk
- 1 cup, sharp cheddar, and Gruyere shredded and mixed together
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- diced chives for garnish
- Spray a large heavy-bottomed soup pot with cooking spray and heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, potato, and salt. Saute for 5 to 10 minutes or until the vegetables begin to soften, stirring occasionally.
- Add the chicken stock and bring to boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium and add the garlic, creole seasoning and the bay leaf. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are soft.
- Remove bay leaf. Turn off the heat, add the evaporated skim milk, and then puree with an immersion blender or in a conventional blender.
- Gradually add the cheese, 1 bit at a time, and stir until melted before adding the next bit. Stir in the sugar, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, and pepper. Taste and add additional salt if desired.
- 4 slices good quality white bread
- soft butter
- Sharp cheddar cheese, cut into thin (1/8 inch) slices - enough to cover 2 slices of the bread
- Heat a non stick skillet over medium.
- Top each bread and cheese slice with a second slice of buttered bread and place the sandwiches, butter side down onto the hot skillet.
- Grill each side, turning occasionally, until the bread is golden and cheese is nicely melted.
- Cut into crouton sized pieces and distribute evenly over 4 bowls of soup.
- Sprinkle with diced chives and enjoy!
Lyndsay Wells is a professional trainer, writer, and program developer with a passion for food and cooking. She is an award winning recipe developer, and a website ambassador for Kraft Foods Canada. Lyndsay believes cooking should be approachable and easy and has great tips and ideas for putting together sophisticated looking dishes that cooks of all levels can accomplish.
Visit her daily on her blog, The Kitchen Witch or on her YouTube Channel, CHARMED With The Kitchen Witch.