That and I finally got my garden planted!
This summer I've devoted one raised bed to mixed greens, another to a variety of spinach, chard, and kale, and the third to cucumbers because I plan to pickle my heart out in August.
We'll also do tomatoes, and pots of herbs just because.
In the spirit of that, I've come up with a wonderfully fresh salad to kick off the growing season that will be incredible to make throughout the summer.
Tender boneless, skinless chicken breasts are marinated in a strawberry vinaigrette, and the grilled or roasted meat is placed onto a bed of greens, strawberries, toasted almonds, crispy bacon, and blue cheese. Toss it up with more vinaigrette and you've got a fresh and satisfying warm weather dinner salad that is, truly, Just. That. Fabulous!
It's all about making magic in the kitchen and making your own vinaigrette this Tips and Techniques Monday is easier than you think!
Visit the printable recipe here: Chicken, Bacon, and Strawberry Salad
Enjoy my easy to follow step by step video.
Strawberry Vinaigrette Ingredients
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup sliced sweet strawberries
- 2 Tbsp chopped shallots
- 1/4 cup champagne vinegar
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp each kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 cups mixed salad greens or baby spinach
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 1/2 cup toasted slivered almonds
- 1/3 cup crispy crumbled cooked bacon
- 1 heaping tbsp crumbled blue cheese
- All of the vinaigrette above
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place the chicken breasts into a ziplock freezer bag and pour 1/4 of the vinaigrette over all. Mix all over, massage the marinade into the chicken, refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Grill or oven bake the chicken. I like to oven roast it in parchment paper - this method tends to steam all that fresh strawberry flavour into the chicken.
- Let the chicken rest 10 minutes and slice lengthwise.
- Mix the salad greens with the strawberries, almonds, bacon, and blue cheese. Add all but 2 tbsp of the vinaigrette and toss well.
- Divide salad equally onto to separate plates and place one sliced chicken breast onto the top of each salad.
- Drizzle each chicken breast with the reserved strawberry vinaigrette.
Bring the daily magic of The Kitchen Witch straight to your inbox every time a new one is written.
Or you can subscribe by rss feed...
Subscribe in a reader