With the fresh ocean air we get this time of year, it elevates the appetite and I like nothing better in the early evening than to sit back and listen to the waves, or the birds in my back yard...
And enjoy a drink and a pre-dinner snack.
My Herb and Cheese Shortbread Rounds are the perfect thing on a Weekday Wednesday because the dough can be made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator or freezer.
Cut into rounds, sprinkle with sea salt, bake in a 350 oven, and serve warm with a glass of wine, lemonade, or iced tea and you have a wonderful way to beat the mid-week blues!
This is also a fabulous thing to have on hand for unexpected guests or entertaining.
Visit the printable recipe here: Herb and Cheese Shortbread Rounds
Please enjoy my easy to follow step by step video!
- 1/2 cup butter at room temperature
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1/4 tsp fresh lavender (optional)
- 1 tsp truffle salt or coarse sea salt
- In a medium bowl using your hands, mix together the butter, flour, cheeses, and herbs until its the consistency of cookie dough.
- On a piece of plastic wrap, form the dough into a log app 2 inches in diameter. Wrap tightly in the plastic wrap and chill 2 hours or overnight. The log can also be frozen at this point to use later.
- Preheat oven to 350. Linea cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Unwrap the log and cut into 1/4 inch slices.
- Arrange the slices on the parchment covered sheet and sprinkle the slices with salt. Bake for 12-15 minutes until light golden in colour. Cool completely before serving.
Bring the daily magic of The Kitchen Witch straight to your inbox every time a new one is written.
Or you can subscribe by rss feed...
Subscribe in a reader