pissladiere that I call Jalapeno and Caramelized Flatbread.
Tender caramelized onions and extra virgin olive oil are flavoured with sauteed jalapeno rings and top a crispy cracker like crust. Topped with sharp grated cheddar cheese, this is the perfect snack for a Foodie Friday and I really hope you'll give it a try.
Visit the printable recipe here: Jalapeno and Caramelized Onion Flatbread.
Follow along with my step by step video here:
- 1 pkg instant yeast
- 1/3 cup warm water
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 egg (at room temperature)
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 medium sized jalapeno pepper, de-seeded and cut into thin rounds
- 6 medium onions sliced thinly
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Begin by dissolving the yeast into the warm water.. Wisk in 2 tbsp of the extra virgin olive oil and the egg.
- In the meantime mix together the flour, salt and sugar in a large bowl. Make a well in the center, pour the egg and yeast mixture into the well and gently stir until it all begins to come together into a rough dough. You may need to use your hands at the end to bring it all together.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead for about 5 minutes, or until it is smooth.
- Rinse out the bowl, rub it lightly with oil, and turn the dough around in it until it glistens with oil. Cover the bowl, set it aside in a warm place, and let the dough rise for at least an hour, or until it has doubled in size.
- Heat the last 2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil over medium low heat. Add the onions to the pan and begin to saute. Add the jalapeno pepper and continue to saute low and slow for about 45 minutes until the onions are golden brown and well caramelized. Season lightly with sea salt and black pepper and set aside.
- Punch down the risen dough and then roll it around the sides of the bowl just to get a covering of oil. Place the dough onto a lightly floured surface, flatten slightly and then roll out into a large, thin oval. Place onto a parchment lined cookie sheet and gently pinch the outside edges together to make more uniform.
- Spread the caramelized onions over all - leaving an inch around the edges bare, and reserving the jalapeno peppers. Place the reserved peppers so that they are evenly disbursed over the top of the crust and then sprinkle 1 cup of grated sharp cheddar cheese over all.
- Bake in a 425 degree oven for 15-20 minutes until the crust is golden and crispy.
- Serve hot in rustic wedges wish a cold glass of beer or a cool Riesling.
Bring the daily magic of The Kitchen Witch straight to your inbox every time a new one is written.
Or you can subscribe by rss feed...
Subscribe in a reader