Flaky, slightly salty pie crust is topped with creamy Boursin cheese, caramelized onions, wilted arugula lettuce, and heirloom tomatoes.
Baked until golden, my rustic tomato tart is the perfect thing to serve for a casual lunch, on a picnic, or for a meatless dinner.
Better still, the recipe makes two!
Rustic Tomato and Arugula Tart
And enjoy the easy to follow step by step video.
- 4 small tomatoes sliced thin
- pie dough for top and bottom crust (visit my recipe here: Pie Crust)
- 1 5-oz Garlic Herb Boursin cheese
- 1 medium white onion cut into thin rings
- 1 cup arugula
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp pine nuts (optional)
- Preheat oven 400° F.
- Heat oil in saute pan. Add onions, salt, pepper and saute over medium high heat until golden, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes. Add the arugula and stir wilted- set aside.
- Toast the pine nuts (if you're using them) in the same pan over medium heat just until golden.
- Roll each disc of pie crust into a rectangular shape. Place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and crimp the edges (as per the video)
- Spread the cheese in equal amounts in the center of crust.
- Place the onion mixture on top of cheese. Sprinkle over the pine nuts and arrange the tomatoes on top of mixture. Bake 30 -35 minutes until golden brown.
Bring the daily magic of The Kitchen Witch straight to your inbox every time a new one is written.
Or you can subscribe by rss feed...
Subscribe in a reader