But with all of the cheering and adrenaline that comes with watching a game, appetites need to be taken care of in a "manly" way - meaning all food must be hand held, substantial, and packed with flavour.
That's where the Habs Hockey Hero comes in!
Four kinds of meat are layered with mozarella cheese, peppers, onions, Italian dressing and pizza sauce and then slow baked until the cheese is soft and melty.
Serve this masterpiece of hand held fabulousity for the next big game along with your favourite cold beer and as you bask in the glow of the deliciousness, look to the heavens and say with reverence "Oh Canada."
The Man I Married will be happy.
Visit the printable recipe here: Habs Hockey Hero Sandwich
Watch the easy to follow step by step video as The Man I Married aka "Big V" puts this one together!
- 1 loaf Italian or French bread
- Pizza Sauce
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- 1 green pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 250 ml bottle Italian Salad Dressing
- 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper
- 8 slices mozzarella cheese
- ham, pepper salami, pepperoni
- In a medium non stick frying pan saute the onion and green pepper until they begin to soften.Remove to a separate bowl.
- Using the same skillet, fry up a pound of extra lean ground beef until it is brown and cooked through and then add the cooked onions and green peppers back to the pan and stir well to mix together. Add the Italian salad dressing and a half tsp each salt and pepper to taste.
- Cut the loaf in half and spread each side with pizza sauce.
- Spread the ground beef mixture onto the bottom half of the loaf and cover with four slices of mozzarella cheese.
- Cover with salami, ham, and pepperoni and finish with the last four slices of cheese.
- Place the top onto the sandwich, wrap in foil, and bake in a pre-heated 350 over for 30-45 minutes until the cheese is melted all the way through.
- Slice and enjoy with a cold beer!
Lyndsay Wells is a professional trainer, writer, and program developer with a passion for food and cooking. She is an award winning recipe developer, and a website ambassador for Kraft Foods Canada. Lyndsay believes cooking should be approachable and easy and has great tips and ideas for putting together sophisticated looking dishes that cooks of all levels can accomplish.
Visit her daily on her blog, The Kitchen Witch or on her YouTube Channel, CHARMED With The Kitchen Witch.