And today's recipe for Vegetarian Lentil Stew is going to hit all the right notes!
Lentils and root vegetables are slowly simmered in a tomato infused broth to become a tasty, budget friendly and healthy dinner or lunch. Better still, the left overs freeze like the dream!
Visit the printable recipe here: Slow Cooker Vegetarian Lentil Stew
Please enjoy the easy to follow step by step video.
Recipe adapted from Weelicious
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 8 hours
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup diced white onion
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 cup carrots diced into bite sized cubes
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup Yukon Gold potato peeled and diced into bite sized cubes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp dried Herbes de Provence or Thyme
- 2 cups chopped kale or Swiss Chard
- 2 teaspoons kosher or sea salt
- 7 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 28 oz can tomatoes with juice
- 14 ounces dried, rinsed lentils
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- Heat the oil in a sauté pan over medium heat and cook the onions for 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook an additional minute.
- Place the onion mixture with the remaining ingredients - except the vinegar - in a crock pot and stir.
- Cover and cook the lentils on high heat for 4 hours or low heat for 8 hours or until lentils are tender.
- Stir in the vinegar during the last 30 minutes of cooking. The slight hit of acidity will add depth to the flavour of this stew.
- Serve with crusty bread or my Boursin Biscuits as pictured.
Lyndsay Wells is a professional trainer, writer, and program developer with a passion for food and cooking. She is an award winning recipe developer, and a website ambassador for Kraft Foods Canada. Lyndsay believes cooking should be approachable and easy and has great tips and ideas for putting together sophisticated looking dishes that cooks of all levels can accomplish.
Visit her daily on her blog, The Kitchen Witch or on her YouTube Channel, CHARMED With The Kitchen Witch.