This is stick to your ribs deliciousness at its best - and for an even bigger bout of comforting flavour, how about trying this one with my amazing Boursin Herb and Garlic Biscuits?
Visit the printable recipe here: Brat 'n Beer Cabbage Soup.
Or come and cook with Big V in person as he channels the Terminator and puts this yummy dish together!
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 8 bratwurst sausages cut into 2 inch chunks
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into 2 inch sticks
- 1/2 a red pepper, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/2 a green pepper, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 large (500 ml bottle) pale ale
- 1/2 head of green cabbage, chopped
- 4 medium Yukon Gold potatoes peeled and cubed
- 1 540 ml can whole tomatoes
- 1 tbsp creole seasoning (we use Emerill's Essence)
- 1 bay leaf
- In a large skillet over medium heat saute the onion, carrots, peppers, and sausage in the olive oil until the sausage begins to brown and the vegetables soften. Add the minced garlic and saute another 30 seconds until the garlic grows fragrant. De-glaze the pan with the beer getting all the flavour off the bottom.
- Pour the sausage and beer mixture into a crock pot treated with cooking spray. Add the cabbage, carrots, and potatoes stirring well to mix.
- Add the tomatoes, creole seasoning, and the bay leaf and mix well.
- Cover and cook on low setting for 8 hours