The Man I Married: When are you coming home?
Me: I'm leaving in 10 minutes.
The Man I Married: What do you want to have for dinner?
Me: I don't know, what do you want to have?
The Man I Married: Pizza!
And so it goes.
When queried about what he would like to eat for his Friday repast (or any other night of the week) his answer always has been - and always will be - pizza. Which is fine, I suppose, because I like pizza as much as the next gal - the only thing is, I worry about eating too much take out or restaurant food because I have no control over the sodium or other ingredients going into the dish.
At the same time, on a Friday night after a long week, the last thing I feel like doing is whipping up my own pizza crust - and that's where the beauty of the pita comes in. Pita bread makes the most spectacular thin and crispy crust pizza that you can cover with a variety of toppings and my hands down favourite is one I do with ground beef and spinach!
Visit the Printable Recipe here: Greek Style Beef and Lemon Pita Pizzas
Please enjoy my easy to follow step by step video.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 8-10 minutes
- 6 medium pitas
- 1/2 lb extra lean ground beef
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp each sea salt and pepper
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped oregano
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1/8 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup diced purple onion
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives
- 1 cup diced sweet red tomato like campari
- 3/4 cup plain tomato sauce (no added spices)
- 1 cup each shredded mozzarella and feta cheese
- Brown the ground beef in the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the salt, pepper, oregano and garlic when the meat is cooked through, and continue to saute another minute.
- Add the spinach and stir well letting it cook and wilt in the pan.
- De-glaze the pan with the lemon juice and continue to cook until the liquid has burned off. Remove from heat to a bowl.
- Stir in the onion, olives, and tomato.
- Brush 2 tbsp of tomato sauce onto each pita. Brush well almost to the edges of the pita.
- Add about 1/3 of a cup of the ground beef mixture to each pita, distributing evenly, and then top each with even amounts of cheese.
- Bake in a pre-heated 425 degree oven for 8-12 minutes until the cheese is melted and the pita crust is crispy.
Lyndsay Wells is a professional trainer, writer, and program developer with a passion for food and cooking. She is an award winning recipe developer, and a website ambassador for Kraft Foods Canada. Lyndsay believes cooking should be approachable and easy and has great tips and ideas for putting together sophisticated looking dishes that cooks of all levels can accomplish.
Visit her daily on her blog, The Kitchen Witch or on her YouTube Channel, CHARMED With The Kitchen Witch.
Bring the daily magic of The Kitchen Witch straight to your inbox every time a new one is written.
Or you can subscribe by rss feed...
Subscribe in a reader