In the meantime, I've simplified the recipe over the years so that anyone can put this together in a short period of time. It's a super delicious (and popular) appetizer or snack that will be gobbled up in no time!
I hope you'll give this one a try, or better still, come visit me in the Kitchen Witch cottage as I show you how easy it really is to make magic in the kitchen!
Visit the printable recipe here: Chili Stuffed Cornbread Muffins
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Bake Time: 11 minutes
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1-1/4 cups buttermilk
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 cup grated jalapeño or sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 425 gram tin of Stagg chili (flavour of your choice)
- Position a rack in the centre of the oven and pre-heat the oven to 375°F. Grease the mini muffin tins with butter and dust with flour or spray with Pam. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder. In a second bowl, whisk together the egg, oil, buttermilk and sugar. Combine the dry and wet ingredients and stir until just mixed. Stir in the cheese.
- Place a tsp of the batter into each muffin cup and using damp fingers, shape into bowls.
- Place a tsp of chili into each cup and top with another tsp of batter, smoothing out to cover the tops.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the muffin comes out clean, about 11 minutes. Serve warm. These are nice with a chipotle dip on the side.
Lyndsay Wells is a professional trainer, writer, and program developer with a passion for food and cooking. She is an award winning recipe developer, and a website ambassador for Kraft Foods Canada. Lyndsay believes cooking should be approachable and easy and has great tips and ideas for putting together sophisticated looking dishes that cooks of all levels can accomplish.
Visit her daily on her blog, The Kitchen Witch or on her YouTube Channel, CHARMED With The Kitchen Witch.