And what a way to start! These cheesy little jalapeno and bacon infused bundles are crispy on the outside and bursting with flavour from the first bite. But what makes them perfect for the holidays isn't just the way they taste - they're also perfect because they can made ahead and frozen!
So come on over to the Kitchen Witch Cottage and cook along with Big V as he makes his Howitzers!!
Get the Printable Recipe Here: Howitzers
- 1-1/4 cups butter, melted
- 1 package (16 ounces, 18-inches x 14-inches sheet size) frozen phyllo dough, thawed
- 1/2 cups cranberry jelly
- 6 pieces bacon, fried until crisp
- 8 ounces Laughing Cow Cheese triangles cut into four portions.
- 1/4 cup finely diced jalapeno pepper
- Take an individual phyllo sheet and brush it generously with melted butter (Keep remaining phyllo covered with waxed paper to avoid drying out.)
- Using a sharp knife measure into three by three inch squares and place the squares butter side down into a 24 count mini muffin tin. Cut each slice of crisped bacon into 4 equal pieces and place one into each phyllo cup.
- Top with a cube of cheese, 1/8 of a tsp of finely diced jalapeno pepper, and a 1/2 tsp of cranberry sauce.
- Fold over to form a bundle and brush with more melted butter.
- You can freeze these on the tray at this point and then, once frozen, remove to a freezer bag.
- Bake at 400° for 10 minutes if defrosted, or 20 minutes if frozen or until golden brown. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 24
Lyndsay Wells is a professional trainer, writer, and program developer with a passion for food and cooking. She is an award winning recipe developer, a former website ambassador for Kraft Foods Canada, the $20,000.00 winner of the online competition "The Real Women of Philadelphia" and a finalist on the Food Network Canada show Recipe to Riches. Lyndsay believes cooking should be approachable and easy and has great tips and ideas for putting together sophisticated looking dishes that cooks of all levels can accomplish.