As I write this, I'm in recipe development mode to create shrimp and cheese stuffed jalapeno peppers that will be dipped in tempura batter and deep fried. (I know!) Stay tuned for that one later in the week.
But today it's all about the tostada and better still, an easy chicken tostada recipe that's made in the slow cooker with beer!
Topped with all the good stuff, this is a recipe you'll be making again and again! And as a side note, the chicken is amazing in tacos, burritos, enchiladas - really, whatever Mexican inspired recipes you're cooking.
Visit the printable recipe here: Crockpot Chicken Tostadas
Or cook along with me in the Kitchen Witch cottage! There's a stool and as wine glass waiting just for you!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 8 oz bottle beer
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 3 large cloves fresh garlic, chopped
- 1 tbsp diced jalapeno pepper
- 1 cup fresh chopped cilantro
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tin niblets corn, drained
- 1 tin re-fried beans
- 8 soft corn or flour burrito shells
- Your favorite toppings... shredded cheese, sour cream, salsa, lettuce, tomatoes, green onion, avocado etc
- Begin by placing the chicken in a crockpot that's been treated with cooking spray or olive oil.
- In a medium bowl, combine the beer, brown sugar, spices, and herbs and pour over the chicken.
- Cook on the low setting for 6 - 8 hours.
- When the chicken can be easily shredded with a fork, shred in the broth and add the niblets corn.
- Remove to a bowl using a slotted spoon or colander, discard the extra broth or use as a soup base.
- Brush 8 flour or corn tortilla shells on both sides with vegetable oil, place on baking sheets, and bake in a 400 degree oven for 3-5 minutes on one side until crispy, and 2-3 minutes on the other side.
- To build the tostadas spread with a layer of re-fried beans and then top with generous amounts of the shredded chicken followed by shredded cheese, salsa, sour cream, lettuce, tomatoes, more cilantro, avocado - really the skies the limit - whatever you like - and then there's nothing to do but enjoy.
Lyndsay Wells is a professional trainer, writer, and program developer with a passion for food and cooking. She is an award winning recipe developer, a former website ambassador for Kraft Foods Canada, the $20,000.00 winner of the online competition "The Real Women of Philadelphia" and a finalist on the Food Network Canada show Recipe to Riches. Lyndsay believes cooking should be approachable and easy and has great tips and ideas for putting together sophisticated looking dishes that cooks of all levels can accomplish.